It’s the end of the month again! I almost couldn’t believe how fast time has passed 😦 we’re already on the second half of the year and how did it happen?? Regardless, welcome to another recap! ♥
- I officially graduated from university on August 2! 😀 It was a BLAAAAST! I was genuinely happy to be graduated and my graduation day was probably one of the happiest day of my life ♥
- I’ve been looking for a job for almost a month and haven’t heard any good news yet 😦 which means I’m currently unemployed and I tell you, unemployment sucks! Sure it was fun AT FIRST, I got to read, sleep, and blog all the time but after a month of doing just that, I’m boreeed brainless! I’m actually dying for some stimulating activities :’)
- Basically, my daily activities consist of doing nothing at home, driving my family to wherever they need to be, and babysitting my nephew. At least I enjoy doing them.
- I’ve been learning to use manual settings on my DSLR and I’m surprisingly getting better on it! Thanks to all those info graphics and tutorial videos, I’m no longer using automatic 😛
Remember how I had so much free time this month? Well, the upside of being unemployed is that I got to finish sooo many books! I even finished the whole Raven Cycle series. All four of them 😛 Even better, most of books I read this month are actually good and I was practically giving away my stars. I’m also really, really short on money because I went to the bookstore way too often this month :’) not to mention e-book though…
My August Haul
I also purchased the paperback version of A Court of Thorns and Roses & A Darker Shade of Magic because I wanted to physically own them, but unfortunately they hadn’t arrived yet.
Read this month
- Wanderlost by Jen Malone (3/5). Could have been better. I was loving it because it was fun and adorable and the characters are both charming and relatable. Also, EUROPE ♥ Unfortunately, it was anti climatic for me.
- Did I Mention I Love You by Estelle Maskame (3/5). It was funny but SUPER INSTANT! Insta love alert! I didn’t feel the chemistry so it was a bit ‘meh’ for me.
- What I Thought Was True by Huntley Fitzpatrick (2/5). So disappointing! I loved the juicy drama but it was confusing! The story was dragging for a long time and it was like EVERYONE BUT THE READER knew what was going on. The withholding of information was super irritating for me! </3
- The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater (#1 #2 #4 = 4/5, #3 = 5/5). I actually binge read this series in less than a week because I WAS SUPER CURIOUS!! It was a little confusing but it completely intrigued me. To this day, I still haven’t written proper reviews because my thoughts are (still) incoherent. But they’re so GREAT!
- Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo (5/5). I’M OBSESSED. Enough said. Full review.
- OCD Love Story by Corey Ann Haydu (3/5). I loved that it featured various kinds of OCD and perfectly showed the readers that there are so much more to OCD than excessive hand washing. BUT it was so anti climatic for me and I hate how the authors cut her scenes. It almost felt like plot holes.
- And I Darken by Kiersten White (4/5). I have a very, very mixed feeling about And I Darken. I had so much expectation but turned out it was different from what I had in mind. Full review.
- The Archived by Victoria Schwab (5/5). SO SO SO GOOD! So clever ♥♥ I’m currently working on the review.
The ONLY sad part of this month is that after reading so many awesome books, I DON’T FEEL LIKE READING ANYTHING ANYMORE! I tried going through my TBR but none of them seemed appealing. I might be in the danger of slumping. HELP! 😦
I’m currently in the process of changing ALL my header images! 😀 You may have noticed that I used to use stock photo, yes? Now that I have free time to learn and practice photography, I decided that it’s time for me to use my own photos ♥ I want to make my blog seems more original and personalized, that’s why I’m recreating all my header images with my own pictures. It’s still a work in progress so not all of my header images are changed yet 🙂
Please note that I have absolutely nothing against stock photos or people who use them. I used them too, remember? 😉
Anyway, I’ll be celebrating my 6 months blog anniversary in two days! I’m excited and I’m currently working on something to give away 😀 Stay tuned to find out more! ♥
I also created a new bookstagram account. I used to use my personal account for bookstagram but I realized that my feed ended up looking too messy and inconsistent. Most of my followers are my real life friends and I don’t think they’ll enjoy my gazillion pictures of book photography as much as we all do :’) I also still post my own photos (selfies and all) regularly so yeah, decision has been made.
Anyway, you should totally check out my bookstagram account @sparklingletters_ and follow me there 😛 Here’s a glimpse of my feed! ♥
You see… my style is definitely “THE MORE THE MERRIER” because I just throw in a lot of props into the frame. All the props. Apparently I’m not good with empty space :’)
My favorite posts this month :
- 10 Book Tropes I Need to See More Often
- 20 Bookish Habits I’ve Been Having Since the Old Days
- Young Adult Contemporary Romance: Why So Irresistible?
My most popular posts this month :
- Top 10 Tuesday: Ten Books Set in the Palace
- Coffee Toffee: The Perfect Place for Reading, Blogging, and Hanging Out
- The Scavenger Hunt Book Tag
I’M SAD TO SEE THE POPULAR LIST DOESN’T GO HAND IN HAND WITH MY FAVORITE LIST 😦 sigh….
So that’s my August recap, everybody! How about yours? Anything interesting? Link me to your own recaps or just tell me! Would love to hear your thoughts! ♥♥
Find more of me on my social media ♦