It’s not uncommon for me to stay up all night reading or watching shows I’m currently obsessed with at the moment 😛 when it comes to tv shows, I’m a hardcore binge watcher! If I have the entire episodes (which I mostly do), I’ll watch them all at once. I mean, watching tv isn’t tiring, you just have to sit and enjoy the show, so why wait? But when it comes to books… well, sometimes I binge read as well 😛
The question is, do you binge read books or do you slowly savor them?
But before we got to it, let me list down all the pros and cons on binge reading so we’ll be on the same page! And also because I looove doing list. Lists are the best! ♥
- Do you know the feeling when you read a sequel a year after the previous book and you forget about absolutely everything?! Well, that’s basically me. Most of the times, I have no idea who these characters are and since I’m too lazy to check, I just dive in feeling confused. The upside of binge reading is you remember perfectly all the things about the characters and plots and possibly every other small details from the previous book because you just finished reading it. It’s like… amnesia what? 😛
- No distraction from other books, which means you won’t confuse the books with the others because basically, that series is the only one you read at time.
- You get the answers all at once. If you have any questions when you read the first book, you needn’t worry because the next book is already in your hands. You just have to read it to find out what happens next.
- No cliffhangers whatsoever. YAY!!
- No insufferable wait for the next book. I don’t know about you but I mostly binge reading series that are already finished. That way, I don’t have to wait another year for the next book 😉
- I have to own all the books first. Lucky all of you who have library to count on, libraries in my city (or even country) don’t have stocks of popular, newly released YA books 😦
- Sometimes when you read too fast, you don’t get the chance to actually process the books. I admit, I binge read The Raven Cycle waayyyy too fast and I didn’t have time to actually absorb it. I was too curious and I NEEDED all the answers! I did get the answers to my gazillions of questions, but I missed out on how great the books actually were 😦
- It takes a lot of time. Binge reading is definitely time consuming! Not only do I pull an all nighter during my binge reading session, I also kind of isolate myself from everyone. I lock myself in my room and don’t even socialize with my family?? :’) as much as I luuurve reading, I also need to talk to other people and sleep. Pffft, kidding. Who needs sleep anyway?
- It’s over too soon!
Now on to my thoughts on this matter. This might be a little anti climatic because…
(Whisper) I actually… don’t have preference. Hehe.
I binge read as often as I read slowly. The thing with binge reading is that I basically have to wait until the whole series is complete. I mean, what’s the point of binge reading if the final book isn’t even out yet? We got to read the books super fast and then have to wait some more months for the finale?? That’s kind of a self-torture </3 (which I admit I sometimes do to myself).
And I tell you, staying away from a series until it’s over is HARD! Especially if the hype is so strong and the said series are being talked absolutely everywhere. Not to mention it could be years. I’M AN EXTREMELY CURIOUS PERSON. HELP! 😦 Also, since I started blogging, I’ve been trying to keep up with release date recently so I mostly read books as soon as they come out.
The other thing is that I have to own all the books before I even start reading. I mean, isn’t that risky? What if after I already buy all the books in the series, I end up disliking the first book? Now what would I do with the rest of the books (there’s always bookstagram, obviously) and my long lost money? That’s why when it comes to binge reading, I always resort to ebooks.
Ebooks are a lot more affordable. Ebooks = my life savior ♥♥♥
Binge reading also takes a lot of will power because you have to resist all the distraction and temptation from basically every other great books! It happens very often to me every time I’m reading something, I want to read something else! Why couldn’t I ever make up my mind? :’)
The last thing I could think of is that binge reading makes it harder for me to review each book! I read so fast I practically flew and it’s like book after book after book I don’t have time to form a coherent opinion before continuing to the next book. Proofs : My reviews of The Raven Boys, The Dream Thieves, and Blue Lily, Lily Blue are so sloppy! A list of my thoughts is the only form of review I could manage :’)
Series I Previously Binge Read
Sooo what do you think about binge reading? How often do you do that? If you want to add something to my list of pros and cons, be my guest! 😀 Drop some comments and let me know what you think ♥
Find more of me on my social media ♦